Absence from work is caused by many reasons and there will be many cases that will need to be dealt with on an individual basis.
Short Term Absence
This can be extremely harmful to any business and must be monitored and managed appropriately, firstly to identify any root cause that could be easily resolved. Persistent short term absence can be a fair reason to dismiss or discipline an employee providing correct processes are followed.
Long Term Absence
This must be handled carefully so that any resulting action is reasonable and fair and requires the following of a process that considers numerous options and alternatives along the way. Employees who have long term health issues are often covered by the Disability Discrimination act which means dismissing an employee and getting it wrong can lead to the employee winning unlimited compensation in an Employment tribunal.
Most people do not associate an employee being late as an absence, but it is, and needs to be treated and managed as such.
Absences such as Maternity, Paternity, Adoption and Parental Leave all have their own considerations, not to mention absence such as holidays, compassionate leave and many more.
How can we help?
- Design, write and implement an Absence Policy and process
- Provide advice on specific individual absence cases
- Assist with the implementation of return to work interviews
- Train Managers and Supervisors in dealing with Absence
- Provide all required documentation, letters, forms etc
- Assist in meetings with line managers and absent employees
- Provide up to date employment law advice
- Liaise with Occupational Health departments
- Assist with gaining consent to write to GP or Specialist
- Provide ongoing support